Sunday, March 21, 2010

Living with TB 3: The Recovering Process


3 days into antiTB medicine, only have blood when I spit after cough.

I was responding positively to the medication!

Well, I better. Swallowing 12 pills every morning to this day isn't something I look forward to (stopped taking the 2 huge pink ones a day after I started antiTB medication)!

I was told by the doctor I could leave the hospital, but need to stay "house arrested" for 2 weeks.

Hey, this was great news! I immediately called my mum and aunt and got them to go on speaker phone just so I got to freak them out! Oh yeah, I freaked them BIG time alright!

(When I went back home for Chinese New Year, I could even tell them how the Hong Hong TV series they watched did not portray a TB patient accurately! Hey, I know, I been through it).

Hee hee...

5 days into it, only small speckles of dry blood found in my sputum when I spit.

10 days into it, no more blood. YES!!!

Had to clean my face from all the blood after I was admitted, just so cousin Joo Lee could take this picture to send to my wife who was in Singapore at that time (she called her when I was being poked and hooked up to the machines).

Receiving a phone call at about 6am and being told your family or loved one has been admitted to emergency ward would freak any normal human being out (well, at least she didn't tell her about the blood)!

Had to take this pic to assure her I was ok (despite being in emergency ward!) and she should only come back as planned.


What I had to go through daily:

2 blood tests, 4 blood sugar tests, 4 insulin injections, 2 injections straight into the needle at the back of my hand, plus urine and kahak (sputum) samples.

Thought I would get used to seeing blood and needles after this.

Definitely NOT!!!

Still freak out the few times I needed to give blood samples for testing after I was discharged.





The ones that gave me pain and pleasure!
Overall, It was a good experience!

To be continued...




3 comments:

  1. Treat those colourful pills as candy and take them on time. Always remember to take lots and lots of water! It's a must when you take so much candy! :P

    You will recover fully! So be good and stay house rest. Take care and God bless. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you thank you thank you.
    Blimey, the candies are bitter!
    Been resting a lot.
    Now that I am near full recovery, I get restless!
    So going out, watching movies, just getting out of the house, are something I enjoy.
    Give me less time to think about my pending and overdue projects.
    Thanks for writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I almost fell off the bed after I got the phonecall! The voice on the other end was frantic, panicked and it took all effort not to jump on the first plane back.

    ReplyDelete